Thursday, August 30, 2018

Eastward Bound (Rylee)


As I embark on this journey I am filled with eagerness to return to Tokyo. I have been compiling a list of every place no matter how insignificant or touristy that peaks my interest that I see while watching NHK World, YouTube, reading other blogs and hearing anecdotes from fellow students. Tokyo in its vastness is like a concrete jungle of sorts by constantly changing and containing a microcosm every step you take, so there is always much I feel that I miss from my previous visits and others I want to see again.


Taking it easy.
However, it may be a double-edged sword to have so much outside of your doorstep that it makes one worry to a slight degree about being overwhelmed. The ability to get away from the hustle and bustle has been easily afforded to me by living in a rural farm town, and to be within a short driving distance from it even while attending college in an already modestly small city makes avoiding distractions easy. I have certainly spent a fair amount of time in Tokyo totaling more than three weeks, but the laid-back nature of Beloit will be something I will miss. Maybe Tokyo will eventually dull down my senses enough to spare its distractions allowing me to keep studying those pesky kanji characters every night. Staying in Tokyo for a year will create some mental hurdles by having to manage Tokyo’s captivating nature, yet the city will create countless memories with the friends I will meet and already have met by chatting with my assigned Rikkyo buddy group.

3 comments:

Gray said...

Hey Rylee! I'm looking forward to hearing of your adventures in the concrete jungle of Tokyo compared to Akita. How are you planning to do your kanji study? I'm looking to go more into that area as well.

Rylee R said...

Hi Gray! I use WaniKani. It is a website that teaches you something like 2,000 kanji and even more vocabulary using a spaced repetition system so you are always reviewing new and old kanji that are easily forgotten. It works the same as an Anki vocabulary deck.

Here are some links for what I use:

WaniKani: https://www.wanikani.com/

Anki: https://djtguide.neocities.org/anki.html

Anonymous said...

What are some places you are planning to visit in Tokyo? Do you plan to return to places you have been to before to see how they have changed, if at all? I think this relates to the reading we did last week about how the larger structure may stay the same, but the details can change. I think it would be interesting to hear how you view the places you visited before compared to now.

Also, thanks for sharing how you study! I am always struggling with Kanji.