Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Navigating Unfamiliar Territory (Zowie)


ワン (one) - The friendly, Akita dog, mascot for Akita International University stands outside the entrance of the cafeteria.
Over the course of the past few weeks, I have made numerous new discoveries about the area that surrounds and encompasses Akita International University. Even though AIU is a small campus and the area surrounding the university is rural, there are many things to notice and experience. Sometimes you just need to miss the bus back to campus or go a little out of your way to find them. 

To better understand AIU and the area around it, I drew three maps based on my personal observations. The maps were created during the first few days, 5 to 7 days, and 12 to 14 days after arrival. When drawing the map for the first time, I realized how little I actually knew even though I had been to AIU before. I had a general understanding of where the main buildings were and where I lived, but I did not know the names or what a lot of the facilities were used for. As I progressed into the start of classes and clubs my understanding of AIU became greater and I was able to identify the location of each building and more of their uses. As I drew the second map, I was able to add a few more buildings that I did not notice before and label old areas, from the first map, with the correct names. By the end of the first week, I felt more comfortable on campus and finding my way around. I even found myself helping other international students finding their way around campus.

This is a square section of trees that stand tall in front of the library; it is a hard sight to miss when entering the AIU campus.
When I drew the final map I added to areas beyond AIU since I had been to the mall and had to go to the Immigration Bureau both of which require public transportation. When I returned to the train station from the immigration bureau, I walked back to campus with a few people since the bus only runs every few hours I would have to wait for the bus. This was a good opportunity to get to know the area better. On the way back, I found different landmarks I could use as a reference if I ever decided to walk around the area or from the train station again.

Looking back on the maps now, I realize that some of the streets and locations of buildings began to shift as I became more aware of my surroundings. However, there are still buildings I see every day, but still, do not know their purpose. There are also areas I have not explored yet. As I begin my third week on campus, there are times when I feel comfortable with where I am, but there are also times when I find myself feeling like a stranger even in the apartment I now call home. In the coming weeks, I hope to explore beyond the campus boundaries more often to gain a better understanding of the area around me, as well as, learn more about how I influence my surroundings and how my surroundings influence me in my everyday life.

1 comment:

Rylee said...

Not knowing what the names of the facilities is relatable. I find it more difficult to navigate a campus in Japan just because of the lack of building names. Instead they use numbers or letters in most cases. Hopefully AIU is not as confusing for you but at Rikkyo it just seems like building numbers are scattered randomly and building a map of campus still seems impossible for me.