Saturday, September 1, 2018

Perspective as you Grow (Shelby)

When I originally thought about studying abroad, I thought about it in terms of learning about an entire culture during my time there. I thought that I would be able to increase my language ability through simple exposure. But after studying, not only Japanese and Japanese history, but everything that I’ve studied so far, I’ve realized that my view of studying abroad, and really studying anywhere, was very superficial.

Akita Prefecture Kiritampo
While I will be able to learn more about Japanese culture, I will be mainly in one corner of Japan, where they have their own nuances of Japanese life and language. They have their own history, important places, landmarks, and ways of living. I’ve come to realize in my two years of college that I want to learn these things. I want to learn what aspects of history the Kansai region focuses on, what places and daily habits are unique to them. I want to learn the differences between the “standard” Japanese and the infamous Kansai-ben.

Grasshopper
None of these things will give up their secrets without a little work on my part. Not only will it be necessary to seek the histories and landmarks out on my own, but I have to overcome the language barrier I face in order to understand the importance of these things. Even with what I have learned before coming here language wise, it is a very different than what is used in everyday life.

3 comments:

Rylee R said...

Does Kansai Gaidai offer classes or opportunities to introduce the history and culture of central Japan? Osaka and Kyoto are vast in size and the amount of historical places and cultural icons seems very overwhelming if you want to know much of their past histories.

Anonymous said...

From the class list this semester at least, it doesn't look like offer anything about the Kansai area in particular, just general history classes about Japan or specific things like the Geisha or mythologies. But yeah, I definitely won't be able to learn everything, but I want to learn some things.

Anonymous said...

What are some key things you are hoping to learn about and how do you plan to go about it?