Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Expectations and Challenges while Abroad (Zowie)

The Beloit bell
As I set off on this journey I hope to learn about numerous things and develop new skills. A large goal of mine while I am abroad is to become self-sufficient while traveling especially since I will be traveling in Japan 3 weeks early, alone. Coming from Beloit College and living in Beloit my entire life I have had few chances to explore far from my home. I have only traveled far from my small town of Beloit once and it was not alone. The first time I left the United States was when I went to Japan earlier this summer, I was apart of Landscapes in Transitions project. This research project introduced me to rural Japan as it was located in Semboku City located in Akita Prefecture. During this time I didn’t get to directly experience much of the farmer's life so I look forward to going back to the same area I studied for study abroad. When in Japan I hope to learn how to use the transit system, practice my Japanese, learn more about Japanese culture, learn more about the landscape, rural Japan, and art. I hope during this time I am able to learn more about myself and what I am capable of on my own.
The rural countryside has mountain terrain which is significantly different from the glad Midwest where I live.
Furthermore, I do expect to be challenged culturally, socially, academically, personally, and in ways I have not even thought of yet. I feel my greatest challenge will be practicing my Japanese in my daily life. Since my classes are taught in English and the school is international I may end up speaking English more than I planned. I will constantly have to push myself to practice my Japanese at every opportunity I get. Even though I was able to experience Japan for a short period of time I feel very clumsy when I was trying to adjust to cultural differences and when speaking Japanese. I also am very hesitant to try new things because I am not sure what is the “correct” way to do them. I understand it is okay to make mistakes while I am here, but I do not want to do things that come off as rude and not notice. There are many differences between the way I grew up and the way that society is in Japan.

Additionally, I know I will get lost more than find the right way the first time, I can barely get around Chicago’s transit system successfully. Becoming better acquainted with public transportation can open up many more opportunities for me in Japan because of how extensive the transit system is. During the three weeks I will be conducting my own project, I will have a great opportunity to get great use out of the rail system. I hope by the end I will become more confident in traveling alone.

Tokachi Station
I think my biggest personal challenge will be meeting new people and creating lasting relationships after I leave. I find interacting with people mentally and physically exhausting. I need to be with myself the majority of the time otherwise I find it difficult to focus and keep going every day. In Japan, I do not have the same support system as in Beloit so i will have to be very intentional with what I do and how I spend my time as a means to maintain my well being. I plan to join some extracurricular activities but I do not plan to spend much time going to side events or social gatherings just for the sake of meeting people.

Overall, I plan to make the most out of my abroad experience. I know I will be challenged in many ways while I am here whether it be culturally, socially, academically, or personally. As this is the first time I have truly been on my own, and it is in a different country, I hope to learn more about Japan and about myself during this abroad experience.

5 comments:

Keaton said...

Does your school offer a speaking partner program? Those have already helped me with forcing myself to try casual japanese

Anonymous said...

I can very much relate with the public transit problems. I've never had to use it because where I live, it doesn't really exist. Not to mention that most of it, at least where I am, is in Japanese until you get to say, Kyoto or Osaka. But it will definitely be a good system for all of us to know on our own so that we can find new places.

Rylee R said...

As AIU makes it significantly easier to rely on english throughout your stay I would recommend going off campus as much as often even when participating in clubs. Brining friends along and exploring random parts of neighboring towns and areas or even making a day trip into the countryside always brings up unexpected situations where you will need to communicate in Japanese. I always find things off the beaten path a lot more fascinating and engaging in Japan so hopefully you will have plenty of opportunities to do so as well.

Anonymous said...

Keaton,
Yes there is a partner program, but it doesn't start for a few more weeks. I plan to join it as soon as the service is available!

Anonymous said...

Rylee,

Thanks for the suggestion! I will definitely seek out opportunities to go off campus, I think that will be a great way to practice my language skills.