Monday, September 3, 2018

Journeys, Goals and Packing Up (Gray)

As I set out on this journey, I feel as though no preparation I could possibly do would adequately prepare me for what I’m about to do. I am a nervous traveller, easily flustered by the smallest trevails, and though I’ve been studying the language for a long time and can get around alive, am awkward and stilted in conversation with native speakers. Where I am now as a student of the language is a strange position where I still need to work on my memorization of kanji and translating what I want to say into coherent statements. I am only shakily sure of my ability to navigate the interpersonal relationships I will have to create when I arrive, as existing in a culture I’m not native to may be a challenge. I’m hoping to learn more of the academic phrases in Japanese and the cultural terrain of AIU as it compares to the rest of Japan and to Beloit, with the hope that I can bring things I’ve learned outside the classroom back to Beloit in the spring.

My other home away from home.
I think that the key to getting over the homesickness I’m already feeling is to throw myself at studies and clubs, and try to fill up my time as much as possible. I want to be productive and make the most of my time there, so I’m hoping that I will have opportunities that I can seize, including field trips and the ability to get out into the community.

I think it helps that I have been to Akita before, earlier this summer, so the lay of the campus isn’t a complete mystery to me. The area around, going towards Akita City proper, feels like a world away based on the short time I was there before. I hope to learn as much as I can about how the city and surrounding area are different from the places my classmates are studying in, as well as how the other students at AIU navigate the community differently than I do.

I will be happy to be back in Japan!

Here's the the start of a new journey!

4 comments:

Keaton said...

Since you been here, have you found out more about club participation. The language barrier is making me hesitant to do it myself

Gray said...

I have! I went to the club fair and checked out clubs based on posters put up around campus. The language barrier is not as much of a problem as I thought it would be, as most of the domestic students here are eager to practice their English skills.

Rylee R said...

How have the opportunities to travel off campus been going? If not enough field trip options show up you should find students who lived in Akita to show you around their city. I am sure they would be glad to do so.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Rylee, I think it would be a great idea to find some students from Akita or even with a car who knows the area well.

Regarding homesickness, I have not necessarily been feeling homesick, but I miss being near a river and somewhere with no bears. In Beloit I can go outside and walk around at any time alone and not worry; however, at AIU I sometimes feel trapped because the places and times are limited.

What are some things you have been missing and what have you done to cope with things you are missing?